Carbon Programmes & Certification
Ready to transition to the low carbon economy?
We help each step along the way. Our expert guidance and bespoke software help you identify what data you need to measure your inventory. Our tools and resources help you set real and achievable goals to manage your emissions. We then arrange an independent audit to verify your result is accurate and complete. You can optionally choose from a selection of carbon credits to mitigate your emissions. After your hard work you will receive globally recognised certification logos to help you market your achievements.
The annual cycle keeps you on a journey of continual reduction. Ready, steady… register!
The carboNZero and CEMARS (Certified Emissions Measurement And Reduction Scheme) programmes enable efficient and credible carbon footprint calculation, reporting and reduction. Third-party certification ensures accurate and consistent carbon measurement, reduction and neutrality claims.
Members receive the software, tools, and guidance needed to accurately measure and successfully manage carbon emissions. You can reduce risk, achieve operational and cost savings, and enhance your moral standing. Following an independent audit, we certify organisations and products to the highest international standards under our programmes, including ISO 14064-1 and PAS 2050.
We help you accurately measure your greenhouse gas emissions, and put in place strategies to manage and reduce impacts. Our tools are designed to support any organisation, service or product. You will be certified in accordance with ISO 14064-1:2006 or PAS 2050:2011, allowing you to make carbon reduction claims with confidence in any market.
Compliance with the programme is independently verified annually to maintain certification.
We help you accurately measure your greenhouse gas emissions, and put in place strategies to manage and reduce your impacts. Our tools are designed to support any organisation, service or product. We then help you offset your remaining emissions through verified carbon credits to achieve a net zero balance. You will be certified in accordance with ISO 14064-1:2006 or PAS 2050:2011, allowing you to make carbon neutral claims with confidence in any market.
Compliance with the programme is independently verified annually to maintain certification.
What makes our programmes world leading?
- Programme requirements meet and exceed international standards and best practice
- CEMARS and carboNZero certification are currently available in 17 countries and the certification marks are recognised in over 60 countries, making it ideal for companies working in global supply chains or exporting products.
- CEMARS and carboNZero certification are accredited by the Joint Accreditation System of Australia and New Zealand (JAS-ANZ) and were the world’s first carbon certification programme to be accredited under ISO 14065. See our accreditation details on the JAS-ANZ website here. See the JAS-ANZ certification register here.
- We offer the only carbon neutral product certification to PAS 2050 outside of the UK.
- CEMARS certification is accepted by the CDP (formerly Carbon Disclosure Project). In fact, companies reporting to the CDP through CEMARS certification earn 10-15% more points. In the UK CEMARS is also licensed by the UK Environment Agency and recognised by the UK Energy Savings and Opportunity Scheme (ESOS) as a route to compliance.
- CEMARS and carboNZero certified products can be awarded points by the New Zealand Green Building Council’s Green Star programme under the materials category. CEMARS certified products earn .25 points and carboNZero certified products earn .5 points.
We currently have hundreds of members in New Zealand, Australia, Chile, the United Kingdom and the United Arab Emirates, including Auckland Airport, New Zealand Post, Toyota New Zealand and Yealands Wine. Explore our currently certified members and case studies here.
Ready to get started?
There are five key steps to achieving one of our certifications. Click the icons to learn more about each step of the process.
Throughout the process, you will have access to our software, tools and templates, which will help identify what data you will need to gather, calculate your emissions inventory and prepare reports for verification and public disclosure. You will also be given a key contact who will provide guidance and resources to help you in your certification journey.
For your first certification, a small to medium sized organisation can typically achieve certification in 3-6 months by spending a few hours a week on the carbon footprint. The time it takes to prepare for and successfully pass an audit varies from business to business, depending on how well developed your existing systems are when you start. For example, a small organisation with tidy records will only need a day’s worth of time spread out over several weeks. The time and resources needed each year may reduce as you develop and improve systems and records. We can help you develop a realistic project plan to guide your progress.
This is an annual cycle and each inventory will help keep you on a journey of continual reduction. Your certification can help your organisation meet stakeholder requirements, demonstrate good corporate citizenship, manage risk, develop business efficiencies, achieve cost savings and gain market access.
Membership subscriptions are based on the size and complexity of your organisation. Auditing costs are additional and based on the time required by the auditor to complete the on-site audits. For carboNZero members, carbon credit costs are additional and depend on quantity needed and market rates. These factors mean that costs vary for each organisation. As a guide, for a small, simple, office based organisation with 1-2 offices and under 15 employees, the membership starts at approximately $5500 annually (plus credits if applicable) but prices vary depending on size and complexity. In order to provide you with a more accurate quote, please complete this short form or get in touch.
Enviro-Mark Solutions offers services that are registered with the Management Capability Development Voucher Fund. Find out more by visiting www.regionalbusinesspartners.co.nz or to find your local Regional Business Partner.
Our world leading carbon reduction and carbon neutral certifications are business tested and supported by scientific research and international best practice. For every member we provide flexible support, a comprehensive tool kit, expert advisors and hands-on workshops.
Just some of the benefits our members are receiving:
- Market access & export advantage
- Identify business efficiencies and cost savings
- Satisfy stakeholder and supply chain demand
- Improve staff engagement
- Build internal capability and institutional knowledge
- Gain a moral and reputational advantage
- Demonstrate good corporate citizenship
- Anticipate and manage risks
Ready to learn more about what carboNZero or CEMARS certification might mean for your business?
Carbon credits and offsetting
We need to balance total global emissions to zero by 2050, in order to avoid more than 1.5°C change in global temperature. While reducing emissions plays a key role in this process, the next best thing is to offset any remaining or unavoidable emissions through verified carbon credits.
We can provide a range of carbon credits that meet our thorough quality assessment for you to offset a carbon footprint, whether it is for an individual, a specific set of operations, or your entire organisation. Individuals can get started with our public emissions and offset calculator. If you know how many credits you want to buy, you can go directly to the purchasing site. For everything else, contact us to get started.
Click here to learn more about carbon credits, including the types that we work with and how we assess the quality of the credit projects.
If you want to manage your carbon footprint but aren’t ready for certification, we can still help. Contact us to find out which solution would best fit your needs.
Setting science-based targets
Enviro-Mark Solutions provides custom support to help organisations set and achieve science-based emissions reduction targets. We are the first CDP-accredited science-based targets partner in Australia and New Zealand.
Whether your organisation is starting from scratch or needs its work verified, we can help.
Why set a science-based target?
A science-based target is an emissions reduction goal set in line with the global carbon budget.
This budget caps global carbon emissions at one trillion tonnes of carbon dioxide equivalents (tCO2e), which gives us the best change of limiting global warming to less than 2°C. Learn more about science-based targets here.
Using science-based target principles allows organisations of any size or sector to make a meaningful and fair transition to the global low carbon economy.
To set a science-based target, organisations must measure emissions against the GHG Protocol, including looking at supply chain impacts. After measuring, companies can select and develop ambitious reduction targets for the next 5-15 years, with the ultimate goal of net-zero emissions by 2050. Organisations can submit their targets to the Science Based Target initiative for review and recognition.
Enviro-Mark Solutions welcomes any organisation that wants to set science-based targets to start the conversation today. Together we can develop a custom plan to apply our expertise to your business needs.
Other carbon management services include:
- Audit and Verification services against a range of international standards including ISO 14001, ISO 14064, PAS 2050 standards
- Conduct a gap analysis of your existing work against a range of environmental standards
- Independent expert assessment of your site against regional environmental plan criteria
- Supply chain sustainability assessments
- Product carbon footprint specifications
- Emissions factor review, development and provision
- Measure your GHG inventory with our emissions calculation software
- Assessment and provision of verified carbon credits
- Customised carbon calculators for you, your customers or your suppliers
- Event carbon calculators
- Workshops and training across a range of environmental topics
- Individuals can estimate your household or travel footprint for free and optionally purchase carbon credits
Counties Manukau District Health Board: a CEMARS case study
As public health is directly affected by the environment, in 2012, Middlemore decided to take a leading role in reducing its own waste and emissions, beginning with Enviro-Mark Solutions’ CEMARS® certification.
- Read more
Kathmandu: A CEMARS case study
Kathmandu Holdings Limited is an outdoor travel and adventure brand. Kathmandu’s goal is to reduce their organisational carbon footprint by 2020 to 20% below 2012 levels, and their CEMARS certification was the next natural step for them to stay on track with their emissions reporting.
- Read more
3R Group: a carboNZero Case Study
Known as an industry innovator, it was natural that 3R turned a critical eye to their own climate impacts. So, they sought carboNZero certification to manage and mitigate their emissions, and are keen to challenge and inspire others to make meaningful changes.
- Read more