Enviro-Mark Gold Certification
Enviro-Mark Gold is the third step in the Environmental Management System journey.
An Environmental Management System (EMS) is a planned approach to managing environmental impacts. Organisations identify the significant environmental impacts arising from everything they do and then develop plans to prevent or reduce those impacts. The Enviro-Mark Programme mentors organisations to develop, implement and maintain an EMS and verifies their work.
Enviro-Mark Gold certified organisations have developed a comprehensive plan to help them achieve their goals outlined in their formal environmental policy. They are measuring their impacts so that they can better manage them.
To achieve Enviro-Mark Gold certification, an organisation:
- Has set objectives and targets for driving improvement and has programmes in place to meet those targets;
- Has developed, implemented and tested environmental emergency plans;
- Has identified and evaluated their significant environmental issues arising from activities, products and services;
- Is actively monitoring their ongoing compliance with New Zealand legislation and is ensuring they are aware of any changes to obligations;
- Has produced an environmental policy statement;
- Understands the scope of their EMS (i.e. are there any parts of the organisation that need to be excluded from the EMS and why);
- Exhibits no non-compliances with New Zealand’s applicable health and safety and environmental legislation.