Enviro-Mark Platinum Certification
Enviro-Mark Platinum is the fourth step in the Environmental Management System journey.
An Environmental Management System (EMS) is a planned approach to managing environmental impacts. Organisations identify the significant environmental impacts arising from everything they do and then develop plans to prevent or reduce those impacts. The Enviro-Mark Programme mentors organisations to develop, implement and maintain an EMS and verifies their work.
Enviro-Mark Platinum certified organisations have thoroughly documented the systems and procedures developed for environmental management. They know who is responsible for each action required by the EMS. They are collecting and analysing useful data to ensure ongoing improvement to environmental performance. They train staff as needed to ensure they can deliver the EMS.
To achieve Enviro-Mark Platinum certification, an organisation:
- Has formalised the roles and responsibilities for people working for and on behalf of the organisation;
- Communicates appropriately both internally and externally;
- Ensures appropriate training is given to people working with the EMS;
- Has documented all procedures relating to managing the system (both system and operational procedures);
- Has a good system for managing problems (non-conformities and opportunities for improvement);
- Has set objectives and targets for driving improvement and has programmes in place to meet those targets;
- Has developed, implemented and tested environmental emergency plans;
- Has identified and evaluated their significant environmental issues arising from activities, products and services;
- Is actively monitoring their ongoing compliance with New Zealand legislation and is ensuring they are aware of any changes to obligations;
- Has produced an environmental policy statement;
- Understands the scope of their EMS (i.e. are there any parts of the organisation that need to be excluded from the EMS and why);
- Exhibits no non-compliances with New Zealand’s applicable health and safety and environmental legislation.